Tutanota enables you to use the benefits of the cloud - availability, flexibility, automatic back-up - without compromising on security. With Tutanota's built-in encryption you own your data, no one else can access it. Tutanota comes with a light & beautiful GUI, dark theme included, with instant push notifications, auto-sync, full-text search, swipe gestures and more.
The open source email app Tutanota enables you to send end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody. Even emails that are being sent without end-to-end encryption and all your contacts are stored securely encrypted on the Tutanota servers based in Germany. Tutanota also has an encrypted calendar, easily accessible from within the mail client.
Our passion for privacy.
Tutanota is being built by a team passionate about everybody's right to privacy. We are supported by an amazing community, which enables us to grow our team continuously, making Tutanota a lasting success without depending on venture capital interests.
Tutanota respects you & your data:
- Only you can access your encrypted emails & contacts.
- Tutanota does not track or profile you.
- Open source client & apps.
- Innovative full-text search feature lets you easily search your mailbox.
- TLS with support of PFS, DMARC, DKIM, DNSSEC and DANE.
- Secure password reset that gives us absolutely no access.
- 100% developed and located in Germany under strict Data Protection Laws (GDPR).
Official website: https://tutanota.com
Source code: https://github.com/tutao/tutanota
With the Tutanota app, you can:
- Create your own Tutanota email address (ending in @tutanota.com, @tutanota.de, @tutamail.com, @tuta.io or @keemail.me) with 1 GB of free storage.
- Create custom domain email addresses for €1 per month with optinal catch-all.
- Send and receive end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody.
- Send and receive old-fashioned emails (not end-to-end encrypted). Even these emails are stored encrypted on the Tutanota servers.
- Automatically encrypt subject, content and attachments.
- Get push notifications instantly.
- Auto-complete email addresses as you type from your Tutanota or your phone contacts.
- Auto-sync between app, web client and desktop clients.
- Tutanota is free and open source software (FOSS) so that security experts can check the code.
The Tutanota app asks for very few permissions to keep your level of privacy to a maximum:
- Full network access: Used to send and receive emails.
- Receive data from the internet: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- View network connections: To find out if an internet connection exists.
- Read your contacts: This enables you to select recipients from your phone's contacts.
- Read from SD card: To allow adding of attachments from the SD card to emails.
- Control vibration: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- Deactivate sleeping mode: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- Inbound MTA-STS for custom domains
- Add option to retrieve error message from unexpected error dialog
- Improve mail reports
- Fix birthday of contact is not encrypted
- Dropdown on recipient bubble opens out of screen
- Phishing protection system
- Display full email address by default
- Extended information about missing/failed mail authentication
- Fix edit title of calendar event
- Fix calendar duplicated entries for all day event
- Improved support for screen readers
- Sort aliases
- Fix visible events in the agenda view
- Fix loading of calendar events
- Fix alias cannot be moved from one user to another user if alias limit has been reached
- Fix system navbar buttons on some Android versions
- Calendar performance optimizations
- New subscription options
- Keep event duration when changing start time
- Navigation bar color changes dynamically
- Accessibility improvements
- Calendar bugfixes
- Fix sync notification still being stuck sometimes
Fixed more cases where sync notification might get stuck.
- Fixed an issue with sync notification getting stuck
Improvements from previous versions:
- Remember last used calendar view
- Added a button to show headers
- Remember last used calendar view
- Add a button to show headers
- Mention reason in downgrade error message
- Contacts: Extra separator shown when birthday not defined
- Alarms are not received after reboot
- Fix opening client on old WebViews
- Fixed mobile layout on larger screens
- Fixed floating button in search view
- Navigation bar to switch between main parts of the application
- Removed floating button
- Define spam rules for to, cc and bcc recipients
- Allow spam rules for top level domains
- Allow * symbol to blacklist or whitelist all emails
- Define own calendar name as participant of calendar
- Fix ability to send content from other apps
- Fix unread email counter is invalid
- Minor bugfixes
- Fixed display of inline attachments
- Enable compression for emails received from external senders via SMTP
- Improve websocket reconnnection
- Add new mail button in search mail view
- Fixed initial date for new events created from agenda view (today from now on)
- Improved time picker (thanks @rdvincent)
- Fixed application keeps loading and mail items are not received
- Fixed websocket reconnecting too early after "online" event
- Fixed email is not scaled to whole height of screen
- Fixed error when Download folder does not exist.
- Fixed search results do not react to websocket events
- Fix links opening when scrolling email
- improve sending native logs
- Respect week start preference in date picker
- New About dialog
- Added ability to send logs
- Fixed stopping receiving notifications
- Fixed editing calendar color/name as normal user
- Fixed agenda view does show date instead of today and tomorrow
- Fixed signup links not working
- Fixed background color in dark theme for scaled images
- Fixed received NotAuthorizedError after deleting calendar
- Added scaling of large emails
- Zoom into emails with double tab
- Fixed horizontal scrolling for some emails
- Calendar agenda view improvements
- Bug fixes
- Close dialogs when navigating back in history
- Fix error with list on login for some users
- Agenda view for Calendar
- DKIM & DMARC support for custom domains
- Multiple reminders for calendar events
- Bug fixes
- Fix missing icons in mail list
- Handle NotFoundError for calendar events
- Fix handling of database errors on iOS
- Zero knowledge encrypted calendar
- Support for embedded images
- Reordering of inbox and spam rules.
- Adaptive icon for Android app.
- Fixed service notification on Android
- Improved visibility of unread mails
- Improved gesture detection for side menu and swipe actions
- Fixed contact editor.
- Fixed inbox rules synchronization
- Include Japanese translation
- Fixed focus input fields in dropdowns automatically
- Fixed removing and adding attachment
- Minor Bugfixing
- WebView detection is more strict and points to more info
- No longer notify about recovery code
- Dialogs don't close immedeately on logging
- Minor bug fixes
Updated terms & conditions
- Bug fixes
- Notification if storage limit is reached- Fixed swipe gesture in mail list